Spring cleaning is a tiresome and time-consuming task but with the right tools and plan you can complete it in a day. First of all, open wide the windows and let the fresh air in the rooms. This is the best way to get rid of the accumulated dust, germs and bacteria. Prepare all necessary detergents (a variety of surface cleaners), sponges, microfiber cloths, paper towels, vacuum cleaner, mop, etc. Do not get scared from the long list, some of the tasks are small ones and can be done very fast. You will definitely love the result at the end of the day!
Your One Day Spring Cleaning Plan
Hallway 8 am- 8.30 am
- Dust light fixtures. To avoid using a step ladder you can get an extendable duster with a microfiber head which bends to a 90-degree angle. It is useful for all types of surfaces and you will need it a lot today.
- Wipe walls, doors, door frames, skirting boards, switches and knobs. First of all vacuum the walls with the brush and then wipe them down with a cloth or a sponge. Sanitise the switches and door handles and clean the skirting boards from dark marks.
- Declutter the closet. Take out all the winter clothing, wash them and keep them separately. Same with the shoes – clean them and store them in boxes.
- Clean the entry mat, replace it if needed.
- Sanitise the floor – vacuum and mop.
Staircase 8.30 am – 9 am
- Dust light fixtures
- Wipe the handrail. Depending on the material of the handrail, use appropriate detergent and a cloth to wipe down all the dirt and germ. This a place where bacteria tends to settle and it should be cleaned regularly.
- Clean the walls. The walls on the staircase are usually full of dark marks and spots. Make sure you use a specific detergent and a cloth and be careful with the paint.
- Sweep/vacuum and mop the stairs. Vacuum and mop the floor. If the stairs are carpeted it will best to professionally clean them as this is a high traffic area.
Bathroom 9 am – 10.30 am
- Soak and spray – toilet, sink, tubs, shower, tiles. From our experience, we know that for best results it is better first to soak the bathroom sanitary ware with specific detergent – sink, bath, shower screen, and toilet as well as spray the tiles. Leave for 15-20min to take effect. Meanwhile, you can concentrate on the other tasks from the list. After the detergent has done its job, you can start cleaning and wiping or scrubbing where necessary from top to bottom. Make sure you do not use the sponges and towels from the bathroom in other rooms before you launder them.
- Dust off and wipe walls and ceilings, clean cobwebs. If there are some stains on the walls, firstly you can dust them off with the vacuum cleaner brush and then wipe the spots with a clean sponge. You can also use a detergent too, just be careful with the paint. Also, make sure you wipe the wall or the door behind you from any residues from hairspray, makeup, or beauty products. Clean the cobwebs too
- Wash rugs and towels. You can wash all the rugs and towels from the house before you start with the actual cleaning and by the time you are finished with the bathroom, they will be nice and clean.
- Clean windows and mirrors. Use a paper or microfiber towel and a window cleaner
- Dust light fixtures, wipe door and doorframe, switches. Take a cloth and a detergent and wipe them down from all the accumulated dust and prints.
- Sanitise floor. After you left the detergent to soak for a while, use the mop and clean the floor. If necessary dry it on your way out.
Spring Clean the Bedroom 10.30 am – 1 pm
- Open the windows. It is the perfect opportunity to let some fresh air in the bedroom and get rid of the unpleasant odours, germs and bacteria. Airing the bedroom regularly for at least 30min a day will reduce the allergens and will provide you with a natural and relief sleep.
- Wash linen, drapes, curtains, blankets. Take off all the curtains, drapes, bed linen and head to the washing machine. Start with the heavier items, like duvet covers, mattress pad and blankets. Leave the pillows outside on a fresh air. Wash the winter bedding before you put it away just because the moths are attracted to body oil, perfume and perspiration.
- Wipe and dust off walls and ceilings, clean cobwebs. As we have already mentioned, first of all, dust off the walls with the vacuum cleaner brush attachment and then wipe any spots with a sponge. Wipe any cobwebs from the corners and ceiling.
- Dusting off all surfaces. Do not forget the rule- from top to bottom. Wipe all the cupboards, shelves, wardrobe, and bedsteads.
- Clean mirrors and windows inside. Wipe all mirrors and windows using paper or microfiber towel and window cleaner. After you are done with it, you can put back the curtains while they are still damp. This way you will save yourself some ironing. If your curtains are suitable only for dry cleaning, you can find a good dry cleaner you can trust. If this is not within your budget you can just vacuum them with the special attachment.
- Vacuum the mattress. People spent 1/3 of their lives sleeping. Keeping your mattress clean and sanitised will save you from allergies and will provide you with relief sleep. Vacuum the mattress often and if possible wash it professionally at least once a year to avoid accumulation of dirt, bacteria and germs.
- Sanitise carpets and rugs, shampoo or steam cleaning. Carpets and upholstery are favourite décors at each home. Surely, over the years, their frequent usage has left behind stripes and lines that are undoubtedly unkind to the eyes. With time, colours fade, and no one is a stranger to the occasional stain. Even regular vacuum cleaning is, unfortunately, simply not enough to keep up the carpets and upholstered furniture in a perfect condition. Manufacturers recommend to professionally cleaning them at least once a year. Thus you extend their life and prevent dirt, dust, bacteria, germs and allergens to settle deep into the fabric and cause any respiratory disease.
Spring Cleaning Checklist for the Kitchen 1 pm – 3.30 pm
- Clean fridge and freezer. Empty the content from the fridge and store it in a cooler. Take off the shelves and leave them at a room temperature for a while (meanwhile, you can move to the next task from the list). Turn off the fridge. For the freezer, you will need a bit more time, especially if it is full of frost (you can always defrost it the previous day or clean it another time). Prepare a mixture of 2 tbsp baking soda and a quart of hot water and wipe the drawers and shelves, then rinse and dry. Clean the door in and out and the seals with a liquid dishwasher, wipe any left debris.
- Degrease the oven and hob, clean kitchen appliances. Same as the bathroom utensils, first soak and spray the oven and hob with a degreaser and leave to for 15min. Take off all removable parts and soak them too. Тhen scrub, rinse and dry it. If you do not feel like scrubbing the oven, you can put a cup of ammonia overnight and the next day you can just wipe it down. To clean the microwave from food residues put a bowl with water and some lemon and turn on the highest degree for 2-3min. The steam itself will do its magic. You can find more efficient tricks for cleaning kitchen appliances.
- Take off and wash curtains and clean windows. While the curtains are in the washing machine, you can clean the windows. And remember; hang the curtains when they are still damp to save the ironing
- Wipe walls and ceilings, clean cobwebs. Vacuum the walls and the ceiling with the brush, then wipe the walls if any stains and clean the cobwebs. Pay special attention to the walls which are closer to the table and chairs.
- Sanitise all surfaces, cabinets, utensils. Start from the top of the cupboards, shelves, and fridge and wipe everything down. You can use an all-purpose cleaner or a solution of warm water and a liquid dishwasher. Clean inside of the cupboards and drawers too. Do not forget to clean the pantry and the cabinet where you keep the trash.
- Dust light fixtures and switches.
- Wipe door and doorframe, skirting boards. Use a cloth or a sponge and a multi-purpose cleaner to get rid of the dirty marks, fingerprints and stains.
- Vacuum and mop floor – if any carpets or rugs- shampoo or steam cleaning them. Vacuum the floor and use a specific detergent to sanitise the floor depending on the surface. Of course, if you have a carpet or a rug it will be great to steam clean it if not just brush it with water.
Living room 3.30 pm – 6 pm
- Dusting off bookcases, shelves, ceiling fans. This is a time-consuming task. Use the duster and then wipe with a damp cloth.
- Wipe walls and ceilings, clean cobwebs. Same as the other rooms, vacuum first with the brush attachment and then wipe any spots with a cloth or a sponge. Do not use any strong detergent as the paint may come off. You can use the duster for the cobwebs too.
- Wipe light bulbs and fixtures. Another task that duster will help you out. Wipe down the light bulbs with a damp microfiber cloth and you will have 20% more light in the room.
- Wipe door and doorframe, skirting boards. Use a sponge or a cloth to wipe the door and doorframe, pay special attention to the handle too. Also, clean any dark marks from the skirting boards.
- Dust and clean electronics. Use a microfiber or electrostatic cloths and move from top to bottom. Wipe down the TV, stereo, DVD, speakers, etc.
- Dust off and wipe the blinds/wash the curtains. If you haven’t washed the curtains yet, now it is time to do it. To clean efficiently blinds, firstly use the duster to take down the accumulated dust and then wipe with a cloth and detergent.
- Wash the windows. Clean the windows and then hang the curtains.
- Sanitise carpets and rugs. As we have mentioned already dust and dirt settles down in the carpets and rugs with time. To ensure a healthy environment at home, you should clean professionally your carpets at least once a year. All the dirt, germs, and allergens penetrate deep into the fibre of the textile and the backing which contribute to the neglected outlook of your carpets and undoubtedly for the unpleasant odours.
- Clean the upholstery- sofa, armchair. Just because you do not see the dust and dirt it doesn’t mean that does not exist. We do recommend cleaning the upholstery professionally. You can also use a brush and detergent and clean the chairs or the sofa, just be careful with the amount of detergent you spray.
- Order food delivery!
Well done, spring cleaning is completed for just a day! To keep your home clean, sanitised and tidy spring cleaning is half the way. The same procedure can be performed in the autumn. Mega Cleaning expert cleaners are ready to help you with any of your house cleaning assignments in London and around. All you need to do is just contact us on 020 3637 7737 and your home or office will be completely transformed into a healthy environment!